Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Some Blather and a Poem

Wow, so much time has passed since my last post. I can't believe how quickly the days go by. I've been so busy with everything else so I've been neglecting this blog once again.

I've been writing a lot and I'd like to gather a lot of my poems and short stories into a book and try to find a publisher. I'm not sure how I want to arrange them though. I'll have to play around with them for a while to see how I want the book laid out. But first, I'm going to try to send out some poems to a few magazines and newspaper publications. I just have to find some that would take my poetry. I have over 200 short stories and poems on my computer. I need to take the next step and start sending them out.

But, a part of me is afraid to. All I've ever wanted to be is a writer, and if I send things out and have them all rejected I would feel like a ginormous failure. My most passionate dream would be shattered. I know, all writers say you have to learn to handle rejection cuz there is a lot of it in the business. I guess that's something I'll have to work on.

The Drunken Midgets are excited to be in their last week of school. Today is their last full day. The youngest has finals today, the eldest tomorrow and Thursday. The youngest heads to Valleyfair with her school on Thursday, and the eldest goes on Friday with her friends. They are both so excited.

This is a little poem I wrote, inspired in part by my youngest daughter, as I was thinking of when she was about 4 or 5. It was also inspired by Poefusion's Friday 5 last week, the words being:

crash, yogurt, straw, gravel, ochre


Youthful Innocence

Knees scraped

from gravel roads

well traveled.

Red chalk

stained ochre

on her fingers

from when she

wrote her new poem

on the sidewalk

for all the neighbors

to admire.


She attempts to suck

yogurt from a straw

just because she has to

be different, or maybe

because there are

no clean spoons

you never know with her.


Tangled brown hair,

dirt streaked face,

hazel eyes full of mischief,

she laughs,

at what I do not know,

her smile is like sunshine.


She jumps up,

it’s off to her big wheel,

my little daredevil,

she crashes into the mailbox,

tosses back a careless ‘I’m okay!’

and pedals furiously

down the street,

pigtails flying,

searching for another adventure.


'Youthful Innocence' Copyright Patricia Schoenberger 2008, all rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ok, so I admit it, I'm a comment whore. Comments are the reason I blog. Okay, that's not entirely true. I blog to let the insanity out so my head doesn't explode, cuz that would just be messy and inconvenient. But still, I adore comments and reply to each one, though sometimes it takes me a few days to get to it. So, if you're interested in reading my comment on your comment, check back later!